- -description reports testimony of senses: hear, smell, taste, touch
- -2 purposes: to give info without bias/emotion or to give it with feeling
- -objective: facts, subject exact, purpose not to convey feelings, straight to the point
- -subjective: emotional, pursuasive, may have bias, personal feelings
- -audience: what do readers need to be told and for what reason?
- -dominant impression: description as a whole, how things are to be percieved
- -point of view used to arrange details: camera focusing on details, be consistent
- -figures of speech effective, vividness, images