- -short definition may clarify the subject, and limit what you have to say:state the general class and add features to distinguish it
- -stipulate definition: when a term is very important to your essay and may be misunderstood
- -extended definition: kind of expository writing that relies on other writings. shows a reader the subject, examines the nature of the subject
- -purpose of almost any extended metaphor=to explore its complexity explain its meaning, or argue for one
- -narrating events for a sort of known subject is possible
- -Ask: is the subject unique? different? when/where is it? what is it? what's it made up of?
- -details are not essential in the thesis
- -boundaries for a definition may be wide, don't go off-topic, don't lose sight of reality